Is Legacy Modernization Right For You?
From the Gartner Glossary: “Application modernization services address the migration of legacy to new applications or platforms, including the integration of new functionality to provide the latest functions to the business. Modernization options include re-platforming, re-hosting, recoding, rearchitecting, re-engineering, interoperability, replacement and retirement, as well as changes to the application architecture to clarify which option should be selected.”
Application Modernization, or Legacy Modernization, is not a single, pre-defined solution or action. You have options. You can choose several paths and hybrid combinations, depending on the business functions you need to address. The best course to Modernization is based on your company’s business needs, time, budget and goals for the future.
But, first, why modernize? The Mainframe has been secure and reliable, powerful and relatively problem free over the years. Now, however, the experienced, skilled resources that kept it running so well are retiring and not easily replaced; at least not with commensurate experience and proficiency. The cost of running the Mainframe is high. And, more and more, for many functions there are good alternatives to the Mainframe that offer comparable power, reliability, and security while at the same time offering much greater flexibility and agility — all while saving money.
Generally, Legacy Modernization efforts fall into one of these categories:
- Encapsulate: Extend and leverage the well running business logic of the legacy system. This is often the first step in a Modernization effort.
- Rehost: Lift and Shift. Move the whole thing to a more modern environment, like the Cloud, as is.
- Replatform: Move application to a new runtime platform, and make code changes that are necessary to adapt to the new platform.
- Rearchitect: Radically alter application code so you can change it to a new architecture. The advantage of this option is that it allows your company to more easily integrate with cutting-edge technology.
- Rebuild: Rewrite the whole application with custom code.
- Replace: Salvage your legacy data in a usable form, scrap the whole application and replace it with a COTS solution that meets your requirements.
As you can see, if you are exploring Legacy Modernization including “getting off the Mainframe,” you have a host of options and combinations of options other than simple (or not so simple!) “replacement.” Determining what’s right for your enterprise is where you might need some help.
Dumas Software Services is here to help you do the analysis, and follow through with delivering the solution. We have years of real-world, proven experience in Legacy Modernization. Our approach is never “one solution fits all;” we focus on your business requirements first, and help you plan an effective, low risk path to the technology that best serves your company. Give us a call today and move your systems forward!